Direbane is an abode to share artifacts, simulacra, histories, and other items of note related to ongoing years adventuring.
*** DROP BOX ISSUE *** APOLOGIES, LINKS ARE MISSING AND NEED TO BE ADDED!

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Wild Space

Ok, so I am gaming my adventuring group through a dystopian apocalyptic Wilderlands where some cataclysmic event has knocked the planet Ghenrek IV off it's axis.

Last game we had two new players introduced, Daughter Cooliosis and her Coastie husband, who are each running some futuristic characters. Soooo of course because my brain is never settled I had to come up with an entire intergalactic milieu for the setting.

Judges Guild back in the late 1970s and early 1980s published several supplements for the science fiction RPG Traveller set in the Gateway quadrant. I wondered whether there was any effort to tie in the Wilderlands setting with the science fiction products.

While it doesn't appear that there was any direct effort to do so, I did find a Judges Guild Traveller scenario Marooned On Ghostring where, as a result of an interstellar mis-jump, a starship crew ends up at an uncharted planetary system.

The similarities are that Ghostring (the planet) is the fourth planet of the system, earth-like, and has a planetary ring - all just like Ghenrek IV from the Wilderlands.

While the topography is not the same, there was an area in the middle of the Ghostring planet map that was amenable to some slight changes that would evoke the Wilderlands setting. I photo-shopped the adjustments and resulted in this map below. Hexes are 435 miles across which puts that center-northern continent with my changes in at the same scale as the Wilderlands.



The northernmost area needs some work where Valon and areas above that city would be, but otherwise the Wilderlands settled in quite nicely.

Next I had to add my off-kilter for the future Wilderlands, and also change the weather effects to make the planet colder and more barren. This is the planetary map I'll be using in the game.


No comments:

Post a Comment